According to calculations made by Nordea’s sustainable finance team, moving your savings to sustainable funds can be 27 times more efficient in regard to improving your personal carbon footprint than eating less meat, using public transport, reduce water use, and flying less, combined.
The activities are based on statistics on Swedish habits, surveys and other data. Key assumptions used in the illustrative analysis include:
- Time-period used, defined as the span of the average working lifetime of a Swedish individual
- Sustainable investments, defined as investment funds that do not include companies with significant fossil exposure
- Traditional investments, defined as a selected global passive equity fund and its corresponding weights in companies with significant fossil exposure
- Emission levels, defined as scope 1 and 2 of the companies with significant fossil exposure
- Amount invested, defined by statistics on the average Swedish salary level and savings proportions
- Average annual return, defined by the selected global passive equity fund
Note: The illustrative analysis shows the improved personal carbon footprint from making changes in investments. Improving the personal carbon footprint in terms of carbon responsibility is not necessarily the same as emission reductions. Changes in the carbon intensity of financial portfolios can change capital flows and impact the cost of capital for a company. Emission reductions can be expected to be achieved as a result of collective efforts from investors over the long-term. Personal savings are key to mobilizing capital and we believe people should be aware of the potential for their savings to make a difference.
(This text was last updated 2018-11-19)
Other sustainability stories by Nordea
Every two years, WWF publishes the Living Planet Report, a global analysis on the health of our planet and the impact of human activity on nature. The Living...
The European initiative for Energy Efficient Mortgages (EEM) is launching its definition of an energy efficient mortgage loan. The definition is intended to...
Nordea & Thinkers50 Business Forum – partnering up for an engaging conference discussing “Making better choices”
In September Nordea and Thinkers50 Business Forum, a premiere business event bringing together big thinkers and CEOs, hosted a two-day event in Odense.
Our illustrative analysis showed how ‘greening’ an individual’s financial assets, such as savings, could generate 27 times greater improvements in a personal...
Renewable energy is needed to enable a low carbon economy and wind power is one of the most viable sources. The political consensus is there but there is a h...