Surfing and interacting on the internet, using social media, accessing online banks and online shopping is increasingly popular. The trend continues as new innovative services can be reached no matter where you are or when you need the service. In most cases all this is a safe and easy way to access various services.
Nordea always safeguards information in accordance with relevant laws, regulations and requirements regarding bank secrecy and data protection.
But anyone can be exposed to fraud unless you take some basic security precautions. As a customer you also have a responsibility to protect your personal information and ensure that it is not misused.
What is online fraud?
Fraud is a deception or piece of trickery that is practiced deliberately in order to gain unfair or unlawful benefit. Most often the aim with fraud is to obtain money, valuables or sensitive information from people or organizations.
Online criminals are very creative and fraud can be committed through different media (mail, phone and Internet) on different devices (pc, tablets, smartphones) and also using cards that have been stolen.
There is a very rapid growth of Internet fraud due to the global scale of the web, the ease with which users can hide their location, the difficulty of checking identity and legitimacy online, and the simplicity with which online criminals can divert browsers to dishonest sites and steal access codes, card credentials etc.
Online fraud is closely linked to "social engineering" - which means that the fraud takes place by manipulating and/or deceiving people.
- Your codes are personal and you should never share them with others via e-mail, phone or social media. Nordea will never ask you for these details in such a way.
- Always be suspicious of unsolicited emails that are supposedly from a reputable organisation and do not click on any links and attachments in the email.
- Be vigilant when you use your personal information and details on the Internet.
- Protect your device with antivirus program and firewall, and keep them updated.
- Keep your operative system, applications and all other software updated at all times.