Our investment case
We are the largest bank in the Nordics with a 200-year history of supporting and growing the Nordic economies.
Nordea is listed at the stock exchanges in Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen and we have around 560,000 private shareholders.
Below you can find some of the key reasons why you should consider being one of them.
- Nordea and its businesses are exposed to various risks and uncertainties.
- This information contain certain statements which are not historical facts, including, without limitation, statements communicating expectations regarding, among other things, the results of operations, the bank’s financial condition, liquidity, prospects, growth and strategies; and statements preceded by “believes”, “expects”, “anticipates”, “foresees” or similar expressions.
- Such statements are forward-looking statements that reflect management’s current views and best assumptions with respect to certain future events and potential financial performance. Although Nordea believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, no assurance can be given that such expectations will prove to have been correct. Accordingly, results could differ materially from those set out in the forward-looking statements as a result of various factors.
- Important factors that may cause such a difference for Nordea include but are not limited to: (i) the macroeconomic development, (ii) change in the competitive environment, (iii) change in the regulatory environment and other government actions and (iv) change in interest rate and foreign exchange rate levels.
- This presentation does not imply that Nordea and its directors have undertaken to publicly update or revise these forward-looking statements, beyond what is required by applicable law or applicable stock exchange regulations if and when circumstances arise that lead to changes compared with the date when these statements were provided.
We have paid out 6 billion euros in dividends over the past three years – and were one of the first banks in Europe to start implementing share buy-backs in 2021.
Total shareholder return in the last 4 years
2. We operate in a structurally attractive Nordic banking environment
Our operating environment:
Nordic GDP growth is steady and above euro area average
Nordic unemployment rates are lower than euro area average, with significant social safety nets
Nordic countries are highly digitalised in global context
Nordic banking market is stable, safe and profitable with high returns, driven by cost efficiency and low loan losses
GDP growth rate
Nordic societies rank global top ten in:
Social safety nets
Source: WEF Global Competitiveness Report special edition 2020
Digital transformation readiness
- Korea Rep.
Source: IMD digital competitiveness ranking 2022
Sustainable development goals index
Source: WEF Sustainable Development Report 2022
3. We are the largest financial services group in Nordics with low earnings volatility and unique growth opportunities within our four business areas
"Our quarterly operating profit volatility has decreased significantly – after already being historically low compared with the European banking sector average."
Frank Vang-Jensen, Nordea's Group President & CEO
Our position in the Nordics:
#1 Personal Banking
#1 Business Banking
#1-2 Large Corporates & Institutions
#1 Asset & Wealth Management
Primary levers to drive profitability improvements
Accelerate savings growth
Allocate more capital to profitable lending growth
Increase operational efficiency
Reduce low-yielding economic capital
Our growth in recent years:
Net interest income
2022 vs 2021
2022 vs 2021
2022 vs 2021
4. We are a globally leading digital bank supporting great customer experiences
D-rating - 2021 Digital Proposition among following Nordic banks: Danske Bank, Handelsbanken, SEB, Swedbank.
#1 mobile bank in the Nordics
According to AppStore ratings.
Growth in digital engagement
Logins to digital channels (millions/month)
Our 2025 digital targets:
~1 million more
digitally active customers (+25% vs 2021e)
for daily banking (vs ~50% of features available in 2021)
All relevant products
available in “one shop” (vs ~50% of retail and SME products available in 2021)
5. Sustainability is at the core of our strategy
We have built up strong competence and capacity within the area of sustainability. With an enhanced product and service offering, we are well positioned to play a leading role in supporting our customers in the transition to net zero. We see great opportunities and strong demand for investing in and financing new green technologies and the transition of carbon-intensive industries – and aim to accelerate our positive impact.Sustainability at Nordea
Our climate action objectives:
emissions by 2050 at latest
reduction in emissions across investment and lending portfolios by 2030.
reduction in emissions from internal operations by 2030.
Want to know more about being a Nordea shareholder?Contact Investor Relations
Capital Markets Days
Here you can find the presentations and the webcast recording from Nordea's Capital Markets Day held in February 2022.Read more
Latest interim results
Nordea’s latest interim results, reports, presentations, webcasts and more.Read more
Latest annual report
Here you can see the highlights and key figures from the latest annual report.Read more